According to Tantric tradition, everyone has seven energy centers that serve as junction points between the body and consciousness, or between matter and the mind. These spinning vortices, called chakras in Sanskrit, receive, assimilate and express our vital life energy. When the flow of energy in one or more of the chakras becomes blocked, we may develop physical and mental illnesses.
The 7 Chakras
1. Root Chakra - Represents our foundation and feeling of being grounded.
• Location: Base of spine in tailbone area.
• Emotional issues: Survival issues such as financial independence, money, and food.
2. Sacral Chakra - Our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences.
• Location: Lower abdomen, about 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches in.
• Emotional issues: Sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, sexuality.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra - Our ability to be confident and in-control of our lives.
• Location: Upper abdomen in the stomach area.
• Emotional issues: Self-worth, self-confidence, self-esteem.
4. Heart Chakra - Our ability to love.
• Location: Center of chest just above heart.
• Emotional issues: Love, joy, inner peace.
5. Throat Chakra - Our ability to communicate.
• Location: Throat.
• Emotional issues: Communication, self-expression of feelings, the truth.
6. Third Eye Chakra - Our ability to focus on and see the big picture.
• Location: Forehead between the eyes. (Also called the Brow Chakra)
• Emotional issues: Intuition, imagination, wisdom, ability to think and make decisions.
7. Crown Chakra - The highest Chakra represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually.
• Location: The very top of the head.
• Emotional issues: Inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality, pure bliss.
The Vitruvian Man - you may not know his name, but you've seen him plenty of times before. You know, that multi-limbed man in the square and the circle. You may even know that Leonardo da Vinci drew him. Da Vinci understood that the mind and body were ethereally related possessing invisible energy centers that align the whole person.
Energy Centers or Chakras